Guide to Grammar and Style — What's New
Recent additions and revisions to the Guide
to Grammar and Style
by Jack Lynch
- 28 January 2011:
- A few minor changes throughout the guide, mostly cosmetic. I
haven't been able to give it the attention I'd like lately. Such
- 9 January 2008:
- A much-revised, much-expanded version of this guide is now
available from Focus Publishing. You can order The English
Language: A User's Guide from Amazon.com
and plenty of other outlets. This on-line version will remain
available, but for the fullest discussions — including
about 50 percent more text, and hundreds of examples of good and
bad usage — you should look at the book. It's an
inexpensive paperback (just $13 for 256 pages), so it shouldn't
break the bank.
- 9 May 2007:
- 6–7 April 2007:
- 10–21 December 2006:
- I'm beginning a big series of revisions to the whole guide,
working my way toward publication with Focus Press this spring.
I'm not going to identify every little change here, since many of
them are small, and I'm going to treat them all as happening on
the same date, even though they're spread out over a few weeks. I
will, however, note some new entries as they happen.
- I've removed the entry on Thesis
Statements since it's better discussed in my guide, “Getting an
A on an English Paper.”
- New entry: Affixes.
- New entry: Comma Splice.
- New entry: Ms.
- New entry: Quotations.
- 1 December 2006:
- A slight revision to Also.
- 18 November 2006:
- 15 November 2006:
- 31 October 2006:
- 11 September 2006:
- 19 August 2006:
- 30 June 2006:
- 14 May 2006:
- 8 May 2006:
- 24 April 2006:
- 21 April 2006:
- 6 Feb. 2006:
- 12 July 2005:
- 10 July 2005:
- 5 July 2005:
- 8 March 2005:
- 3 March 2005:
- 26 Jan. 2005:
- 21 Jan. 2005:
- 20 Jan. 2005:
- 18 Jan. 2005:
- 12 Jan. 2005:
- 5 Jan. 2005:
- 3 Jan. 2005:
- 21 Dec. 2004 (actually 21 Dec. 2004 through 2 Jan. 2005, but
- 14 Sept. 2004:
- Many little changes throughout the guide, but it's not worth
listing them all.
- A low-grade fever has me home from work. Rather than do
anything productive, I've written whole raft of new entries:
- 1 May 2004:
- The first update in a scrillion years. I've changed the
physical appearance, in the hopes of making the guide easier to
read, and tinkered with a few entries. One of these days I'll
make some big additions.
- 3 August 2001:
- 5 July 2001:
- 20 June 2001:
- 11 June 2001:
- 8 June 2001:
- 28 May 2001:
- Some general tidying up in the whole guide. I've revised the
navigational links at the top of each page to make them easier to
use, added some simple navigation at the bottom of each page, and
provided an updated list of mirror sites. Nothing substantive,
- 9 April 2001:
- New entry: Voice, with appropriate
- 8 April 2001:
- 5 April 2001:
- 16 March 2001:
- New entry: Taste, with appropriate
- 30 January 2001:
- 26 January 2001:
- 3 November 2000:
- 3 September 2000:
- I'm beginning to add cross-references to my new guide, “Getting an A on an English Paper.” Since
they'll appear throughout this guide and will be evolving for at
least the next few months, I won't note each change.
- 24 August 2000:
- A revision of the entry on Mixed
- Some minor reformatting to make navigation easier.
- Minor twiddling with the comments
- 14 July 2000:
- 8 June 2000:
- A slight revision on the Dash
- 12 May 2000:
- A few new entries in the links page.
- 12 April 2000:
- Corrected a booboo in the entry on Comma usage.
- 10 September 1999:
- Added Susan Sively's “Writing
Better” to the links page.
- Began to revise the links page to
make it more useful. Gimme time.
- 6 September 1999:
- Tags indicating revision or addition dates added to the end
of recently updated entries.
- Assure, Ensure, Insure — New
- Different — New
- 5 September 1999:
- Cosmetic changes throughout; a new
page specifically for comments.
- 14 August 1999:
- 11 July 1999:
From the Guide to Grammar and Style by Jack Lynch.
Comments are welcome.